Back to School Safety
The end of August is the first week of school for most elementary and high school students in La Grange.
Because traffic and pedestrian safety is a priority for the Village of La Grange, the La Grange Police Department will be patrolling in the school zones to ensure child safety and pedestrian safety.
The Village would like to provide motorists, residents, and parents with the following safety reminders and to increase safety awareness:
- The speed limit around schools is 20 miles per hour.
- Parents and children should use designated walking routes to ensure safety.
- Please obey crossing guard commands; this applies to everyone.
- Parents should consider establishing a "walking school bus" whereby an adult accompanies a group of neighborhood children walking to school.
- Drivers must stop and yield the right-of-way to pedestrians when a person is walking with a green light or has entered a crosswalk before the traffic signal has changed.
- Motorists must stop before passing a school bus when it is loading or unloading passengers. However, motorists must remain stopped when the signal arm is extended and lights are flashing.
- Parents are asked to exercise extra caution and allow themselves additional time for student drop-off and pick-up.
- All motorists are asked to please drive carefully throughout the community and particularly around schools, parks and the downtown area.